Pietralunga, a small village in Umbria, a hospitable community partner of the Association of the Authentic Villages.

The Flute on Human Tibia preserved in the archaeological museum of Perugia testifies the prehistoric origins of the village. The foundation of the urban centre, with the name of TUFI can be traced back to the Umbrian population. The most flourishing period was under the Romans, with the name ofFORUM JULII CONCUPIENSIUM, witnessed by the archeological remains of villas, aqueducts (“fistulae acquariae”), coins and important roads. It was destroyed by the barbarian invasions and was rebuilt on today’s hill between the VIth and VIIIth centuries. The building of the Pieve di Santa Maria and the pentagonal Lombard defence Tower date back to this period. It was a free commune from the XIth to the XIVth century with the name of PRATALONGA, in the XIVth century it was allied and submitted to Città di Castello until 1817 when it became an independent municipality.

The village of Pietralunga, has 2468 inhabitants. It lies in the north-eastern part of the Upper Tiber Valley, on a hilly ridge close to the Umbrian-Marche Apennines at 564 meters above sea level. It is part of a splendid natural environment made of rolling hills, woods, and small valleys and of the Carpinella and Carpina streams. It borders with Apecchio (PS) to the north, with Cagli (PS) to the north-east, with Gubbio to the east, with Montone and Umbertide to the south, with Città di Castello to the west. There are various protected areas: Woods of Pietralunga – 1487.00 hectares of surface, with parts of well preserved Turkey oak woodland, with tall trees and particularly valuable habitats, with strips of Apennine Salix riparian forest and with small Juniperus oxicedrus bushes. Woods of the Red and Sodolungo Mountains – 2597.00 hectares of surface, with extensive woods of Turkey oaks and Hop hornbeans Interrupted by pastures with Centaurea bracteata and Bromus erectus and cameophitic formations with Coronilla emerus and Astragalus monspessulanum. Furthermore, within the state-owned forest, the Province of Perugia has identified two FAUNA PROTECTION OASES: Varrea Oasis – 950.00 hectares of surface, entirely included in the S.I.C. areas of the Woods of Pietralunga; Oasis of Candeleto – 1100.00 hectares of surface, where natural-wood forests of Turkey oaks and Hop hornbeans alternate with extensive pine forests of black pines.

EXPLORE THE TERRITORY

Valle del Carpina

Montone